The American Landscape Institute is a unique training and development horticulture scholarship program for individuals interested in entering the Horticulture Industry. The ALI program combines hands-on field experience, mentoring from industry leaders, and scholarships for a quality education from the Sustainable Horticulture Program at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC). The combination of practical experience and academic studies, over two years, prepares the participants for promotions on the job and career advancement.
As with nearly all U.S. industries, the Baby Boomer business owners and managers are starting to retire, creating incredible opportunities for the incoming generation. Nursery, greenhouse, and landscaping business leaders are eager to hire a new generation in their companies to ensure that the thriving green industry will continue to create and maintain green spaces.
As a work and scholarship program, ALI participants receive the essential practical experience and education required for advancement without taking on student debt.
Hard work, dedication, and determination will make one a successful horticulture student, scholarship recipient, and employee. The program includes the following features:
- Employment by a leading Baltimore area landscape or nursery/greenhouse company
- 80% college tuition scholarship for horticulture classes at the CCBC Sustainable Horticulture Program. Students are responsible for the remaining 20% tuition, which will be returned to the students who successfully complete the ALI program
- Enrollment at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) Sustainable Horticulture Program for two years. Students earn 39 credits and a certificate in Landscape Installation, Maintenance, and Design
- Students also earn their Level 1 Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional Certification from the Chesapeake Conservation Landscaping Council.
- Students may also choose to continue at CCBC for a 3rd year, to earn an Associate’s Degree in Sustainable Horticulture (Note: scholarship funds supporting the third year of study may be available but are not guaranteed)
- Through on-the-job training and horticulture courses, the participant will develop highly valued expertise in the Horticulture Industry
- Prepares participants for advancement and leadership opportunities within the Horticulture Industry
Through the Eyes of ALI Students
- Landscape Installation, Construction and Maintenance HORT 134
- Woody Ornamentals I HORT 110
- Woody Ornamentals II HORT 210
- Soils and Fertilizers HORT 115
- Introduction to Sustainable Horticulture HORT 127
- Integrated Pest Management HORT 117
- Herbaceous Plant Materials HORT 111
- Turf Management HORT 123
- Basic Landscape Graphics HORT 107
- Plant Propagation HORT 106
- Sustainable Landscape Planning HORT 228
- Fundamentals of Communications CMNS 101
- Residential Forestry (Pruning) HORT 130
- Academic Development, Transitioning to College ACDV 101
Costs and Important Information
ALI in the News
- ALI was featured on the front page of the Baltimore Sun!
- ALI Future Leaders – Nursery Management Magazine
Horticulture Industry Outlook
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Planning and developing new commercial, industrial, and residential construction projects and redeveloping existing landscapes will drive employment growth.” Maryland is one of the top five paying states for this occupation. Starting management salaries will likely be in the $40,000 to $60,000 per year range, with rapid promotion potential for this in-demand field.
How to Apply
Interested candidates for the program are asked to complete and submit the application materials by May 27, 2022. August 1, 2022 is the deadline for applicants already employed by a landscape or nursery company willing to pay their scholarship. See Hire a Student page for more details. Applications will be reviewed by the selection committee with interviews scheduled as may be appropriate. (Applications might be accepted after May 27, if space is still available.)
In addition to submitting the application, applicants must include a cover letter, resume, and a copy of their most recent high school or college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable.) The resume should include 2 personal references, with their contact information. Please email all items or any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. All course work is conducted by CCBC (the Community College of Baltimore County) Sustainable Horticulture Program. Before being accepted into the ALI program, all students must apply to CCBC, obtain a CCBC ID number and possibly take a placement test.